The role of the Sr. Design Engineer is to provide engineering support during product design and development as directed by an Industrial Design/Engineering Lead or Director of Product Innovation.
Director, Product Innovation
Qualifications / Education:
5+ years of related work experience in consulting or corporate environment(s)
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME), Engineering Design Technology (EDT), Product Design and Manufacturing, or equivalent job experience.
- Work closely with Design / Engineering Leads to scope projects, gain an understanding for clients’ business objectives, and assist in the development of the necessary project deliverables.
- With guidance from the Design / Engineering Leads, assist in the development of the work approach and strategy for accomplishing client and project objectives within the time and budget allowed.
- With direction from the Design / Engineering Lead, manage additional ID/EN team members, outside contractors and/or vendors that may be required to complete project activities.
- Participate/lead a variety of research activities designed to gain a deeper understanding of market trends, demographics, competitive landscape, user needs and environments within the context of the given project.
- Possess and demonstrate a high skill level in fundamental engineering tools and practices, including but not limited to the following:
- Efficient use of 3D CAD software to conceptualize designs and produce accurate models, assemblies, and drawings using appropriate drafting practices.
- Theoretical design analyses to support the feasibility of the selected concepts. This stage may include items such as FEA, MoldFlow, stack-ups, and material selection.
- Ability to provide development support for a variety of manufacturing processes such as sheetmetal, casting, machining, injection molding, thermoforming, and extrusion is required.
- Must have the ability to select appropriate materials and finishing options to support design needs.
- Must have the ability to work in a group environment with creative, open minded, out of the box thinking.
- Attend client team meetings and present concepts to Marketing, Engineering and Manufacturing groups.
- Communicate with vendors to ensure that designs are practical and cost effective for manufacturing.
- Work closely with vendors to get quotes, material samples and rapid prototypes in a timely manner.
- Assist Lead Engineer to ensure that all required design control documentation is completed and all quality requirements have been met.
- Participate in risk management activities.
- Display a professional image and positive attitude to coworkers and customers alike.
- Provide manufacturing support for initial product release including engineering prints (ECN’s), task instructions, inspection forms, and training.
- Become intimately familiar with testing standards used for our product. (i.e. UL1678, IEC60601-1, etc.)
- Support both internal and external testing requirements for new product or product updates as appropriate.